(WESTERVILLE, Ohio) – The Thomas More University softball team swept Otterbein University today (Thursday, March 28, 2019) at the Otterbein Softball Field in Westerville, Ohio. The Saints won game one, 10-0, and the nightcap, 5-3, in five innings. Thomas More improves to 15-7 and the Cardinals fall to 10-8.
- In the first, Alix DeDreu double to right center scoring Whitney Quillen and Elana Harrison had a RBI walk scoring DeDreu to make the score 2-0.
- Saints extend the lead to 6-0 in the fifth when Lindsey Meier scored on a RBI single by Quillen, Sydney Turner scored on a DeDreu RBI single and Andrea Gahan had a RBI single up the middle scoring Amanda Lloyd.
- Thomas More made the score 10-0 in the seventh as Gahan had a two-run RBI double to left field scoring DeDreu and Quillen and then Mary Beth Odom had a two-run home run to right center field which brought in Gahan.
- DeDreu earned the shutout win as she pitched seven innings and only gave up three hits, while striking out eight.
- DeDreu also led the team at the plate as she was four-for-five with two doubles, two RBI and two runs scored.
- Gahan was three-for-four with a double, three RBI and a run scored.
- Odom was one-for-three with a home run, two RBI and a run scored.
- Otterbein scored two runs in the first inning to take a 2-0 lead.
- Saints took a 5-2 lead in the fifth inning as DeDreu had a RBI single scoring Quillen, Kenzie Dickerson had a sacrifice fly scoring DeDreu, Morgan Wells had a RBI single scoring Gahan, Odom scored on an Elana Harrison RBI and Wells scored on a Saints' stolen base.
- The Cardinals plated a run in the bottom of the firth to cut the lead to 5-3.
- The game was called after five innings due to darkness.
- DeDreu was two-for-three with a RBI and a run scored.
- Harrison finished the game two-for-three with a double and a RBI.
- Junior pitcher Kianah Towe (West Chester, Ohio/Lakota East) earned the win as she pitched four innings giving up two runs (both earned) on six hits and struck out three.
- Senior pitcher Hannah Sprague (Bright, Ind./East Central) pitched one inning and gave up one run (earned) on three hits.
- Thomas More is scheduled to return to the diamond on Sunday (March 31) when it hosts Denison University in a doubleheader.
- First pitch is scheduled for 1 p.m. at Thomas More Field in Crestview Hills, Kentucky.