(CRESTVIEW HILLS, Ky.) - The Thomas More men's volleyball team is set to compete in its first match since the sport was re-introduced back in 2018. This is the first season for men's volleyball since the mid-90's for Thomas More.
- Head Coach John Spinney takes the lead this year in his first season as Head Men's Volleyball Coach. Spinney has been with Thomas More for 11 years coaching women's volleyball, who reached the 'Sweet 16' of the NCAA Tournament last season.
- Spinney is accompanied by Assistant Coach Elly Ogle, who is in her first year as an assistant coach for both men's and women's volleyball. Ogle played volleyball at LSU and transferred to play at UC.
- The Saints open its season today with nine players on the roster, consisting of one senior, two juniors, four sophomores, and three first-years.
- Adam Mathews, who also plays soccer for the Saints, will play in the Defensive Specialist position. Mathews is a sophomore from Cincinnati, Ohio and Anderson High School.
- Jakob Jones, who is a co-broadcaster for men's and women's basketball, will play in the Middle-Back position. Jones is a first-year from Cincinnati, Ohio and Roger Bacon High School.
- Stephen Maley, who plays on the men's basketball team, will play an Outside Hitter and Defensive Specialist this season. Maley is a sophomore from Covington, Ky. and St. Henry High School.
- Nick Richard, a transfer from CCU, will play an Outside Hitter this season. Richard is a senior from Chicago, Ill. and Oswego High School.
- Robby Cox will play an Outside Hitter this season. Cox is a first-year from Louisville, Ky. and St. Xavier (Ky.) High School.
- Tanner Miller will play Setter this season. Miller is a first-year from Loveland, Ohio and Loveland High School.
- Ryan Hans, who played on the rugby team for the Saints, will play a Defensive Specialist and Outside Hitter this season. Hans is a junior from Fort Thomas, Ky. and Newport Central Catholic High School.
- Andy Geigle, a goal-keeper on the men's soccer team, will play a Right Side Hitter this season. Geigle is a sophomore from Cincinnati, Ohio and Elder High School.
- Brock Cassin, a student-manager on the men's basketball team, will play at Middle Back this season. Cassin is a sophomore from Louisville, Ky. and duPont Manual High School.
- Thomas Williams, who plays on the Saints' football team, will play an Outside Hitter and a Defensive Specialist this season. Williams is a junior from Oregonia, Ohio and Clinton Massie High School.
- The Golden Tornadeoes will take on Adrian in their first-ever men's volleyball game in program history.
- Geneva was placed tied for seventh in the Allegheny Mountain Collegiate Conference (AMCC) pre-season poll.
- The Bulldogs come into the tournament this weekend 2-2 so far on the season.
- Adrian is coming off a 3-0 loss to Siena Heights and a 3-1 win over Olivet.
- The Bulldogs are averaging 10.3 kills per set and 15.2 points per set.
- The Terriers come into the tournament this weekend and open their season against Adrain.
- Last season, Hiram finished 6-24 overall, ending with a 3-0 win over Olivet.
- The Harriers averaged 8.82 kills per set and 11.2 points per set last season.
- Follow along all season long on Twitter (@Saints_MVB) and Instagram (thomasmore_vb).
- Follow along with all the Saints' sports on Twitter and Instagram (@tmusaints) and Facebook (Thomas More Saints)
- The Saints are back on the court on Jan. 26 against Concordia Chicago and Trine.