Posted: Sep 22, 2018
(COLUMBUS, Ohio) – The Thomas More men's soccer team fell, 3-2, to Capital University in overtime tonight (Saturday, September 22, 2018) at Bernlohr Stadium in Columbus, Ohio.
- Capital took a 1-0 lead in the 12th minute when Chewy Gordon scored off an assist by Luke Morais.
- The Saints tied the match at 1-1 when junior forward Ethan Smith (Columbus, Ind./Columbus North) scored unassisted in the 38th minute.
- Thomas More took a 2-1 lead in the 65th minute when first-year forward Mark McAulay (London, ENGLAND/Taunton) found the back of the net unassisted.
- Capital scored the equalizer in the 70th minute when Gordon scored off a Greg Knox cross.
- The Crusaders' Gordan scored the game winner in the 95th minute off an assist by Knox.
- Thomas More falls to 4-4-1 and the Crusaders improve to 6-1.
- The Saints out-shot Capital 21-20, including 6-5 on-goal.
- Smith led the team in shots with six, including two on-goal.
- Senior midfielder Suli Kayed (Slagelse, DK/Ryle (Ky.)) finished with five shots, including one on-goal.
- Senior goalkeeper Jeff Paulin (Alexandria, Ky./Bishop Brossart) played all 94:14 in goal and recorded two saves.
- Thomas More returns home on Monday (September 24) when it hosts DePauw University at 5 p.m. at BB&T Field in Crestview Hills, Kentucky.