Posted: Aug 31, 2018
(CRESTVIEW HILLS, Ky.) – The Thomas More men's soccer team opened the 2018 season today (Friday, August 31, 2018) as it defeated traditional rival Wilmington College, 3-1, at BB&T Field in Crestview Hills, Kentucky.
- Junior forward Ethan Smith (Columbus, Ind./Columbus North) scored unassisted in the 34th minute
- Wilmington tied the match in the 43rd mintues with a goal by Adriel Ortiz.
- Smith booted the ball in the goal from 40-yards out in the 71st minute to give the Saints a 2-1 lead.
- Smith closed out the scoring in the 86th minute for an insurance goal and the final score of 3-1.
- Smith registred a hat trick with the three goal performance, while tallying five shots.
- Senior goalkeeper Jeff Paulin (Alexandria, Ky./Bishop Brossart) earned the win as he played all 90 minutes and had two saves.
- Senior midfielder Suli Kayed (Slagelse, DK/Ryle (Ky.)) had four shots in the match
- Thomas More out-shot Wilmington, 23-8, including 11-4 on-goal.
- Saints had a 9-6 advantage in corner kicks.
- Thomas More returns to action on Sunday (September 2) when it travels to Hanover, Indiana to play Hanover College at 1 p.m.