(GREEVILLE, Pa.) – The Thomas More University baseball team swept a doubleheader with Thiel College today (Saturday, April 27, 2019) at Tomcat Park in Greenville, Pennsylvania. The Saints won game one, 5-1, and the nightcap, 6-4. With the sweep, the Saints improve to 14-18 and the Tomcats fall to 16-20.
- Thomas More took a 1-0 lead in the first inning when senior catcher Sam Hauer (Cincinnati, Ohio/Elder) had a run batted-in single scoring first-year third baseman Bailey Martin (Independence, Ky./Simon Kenton).
- In the second inning, junior designated hitter Alec Garnett (Hebron, Ky./Conner) scored on a RBI single by senior outfielder Blaise Ostertag (Burlington, Ky./Conner) to increase the lead to 2-0.
- In the seventh inning, Martin scored on a wild pitch, senior right fielder Joshua Boeckmann (Cincinnati, Ohio/Elder) had a RBI single scoring first-year second baseman Brett Benzinger (Taylor Mill, Ky./New Richmond) and senior shortstop Sean Lawrence (Independence, Ky./Simon Kenton) scored on a Hauer ground out to extend the lead to 5-0.
- Thiel scored one in the bottom of the seventh, but it wasn't enough as Thomas More posted the 5-1 game one win.
- Sophomore pitcher Jordan Houze (Lawrenceburg, Ind./Lawrenceburg) earned the win as he pitched all seven innings and gave up one run (earned) on six hits.
- Martin was two-for-four with two runs scored.
- Sophomore left fielder Brady Reynolds (White Oak, Ohio/LaSalle) was two-for-four.
- Senior first baseman Nick Jenkins (Hillard, Ohio/Hillard Bradley) was two-for-three.
- Hauer was one-for-four with two RBI.
- The Saints took a 1-0 in the second innings when junior catcher Matt Wellbrock (Cincinnati, Ohio/Elder) scored on a RBI single by Ostertag.
- Boeckmann drove in Lawrence with a single in the third innings to extend the lead to 2-0.
- Thiel scored three in the sixth inning to take a 3-2 lead.
- Thomas More tied the game at 3-3 in the eighth innings when Reynolds drew a bases loaded walk bringing home Wellbrock.
- The Saints took a 6-3 lead in the top of the ninth inning when Boeckman scored on a RBI single by Wellbrock and then sophomore third baseman Tyler Flick (Okeana, Ohio/Ross) had two-run single bringing Wellbrock and Hauer home.
- Thiel scored one in the bottom of the ninth for the final score of 6-4.
- Lawrence was two-for-five with a run scored.
- Boeckmann was one-for-three with a RBI and a run scored.
- Wellbrock was one-for-four with three runs scored and RBI.
- Flick was one-for-one with a RBI.
- Martin had a no-decision as he pitched five shutout innings and gave up three hits, while striking out one.
- Sophomore pitcher Andrew Schramm (Cincinnati, Ohio/Elder) pitched two-thirds of an inning and gave up three runs (all earned) on four hits, while striking out one.
- Senior pitcher Jonathan Breeden (Erlanger, Ky./Dixie Heights) earned the win as he pitched two and a third shutout innings and gave up one hit, while striking out one.
- Junior pitcher Justin Ward (Cincinnati, Ohio/Elder) had the save as he pitched the ninth inning and gave up one run (earned) on two hits.
- Thomas More returns to the diamond on Wednesday (May 1) when it hosts Otterbein University at 4 p.m. at Thomas More Field in Crestview Hills, Kentucky.