Posted: Apr 24, 2019
(WOOSTER, Ohio) – The Thomas More University baseball team fell, 8-3, today (Wednesday, April 24, 2019) to 15th-ranked College of Wooster at Art Murray Field in Wooster, Ohio. The Saints fall to 12-18 and the Fighting Scots improve to 19-8.
- Wooster took a 7-0 lead after four innings as it scored two runs in the first, three in the second, one in the third and one in the fourth.
- Thomas More cut the lead to 7-2 in the sixth as junior left fielder Alec Garnett (Hebron, Ky./Conner) had a run batted-in double scoring senior shortstop Sean Lawrence (Independence, Ky./Simon Kenton) and junior designated hitter Matt Wellbrock (Cincinnati, Ohio/Elder) had a RBI single bring Garnett home.
- The Fighting scored a run in the eighth to extend the lead to 8-2.
- In the ninth, senior center fielder Blaise Ostertag (Burlington, Ky./Conner) had a RBI single scoring Garnett for the final score of 8-3.
- Garnett was two-for-three with a double, two runs scored and a RBI.
- Lawrence was one-for-four with a double and a run scored.
- Wellbrock was one-for-three with a RBI.
- Ostertag was one-for-three with a RBI.
- First-year pitcher Mitch Mierke (Milford, Ohio/Milford) suffered the loss as he pitched three innings and gave up six runs (all earned) on seven hits.
- First-year pitcher Nick Muench (Florence, Ky./Boone County) pitched two innings and gave up one run (earned) on four hits.
- Sophomore pitcher Andrew Schramm (Cincinnati, Ohio/Elder) pitched two scoreless innings and gave up three hits, while striking out two.
- Senior pitcher Jonathan Breeden (Erlanger, Ky./Dixie Heights) pitched one inning and gave up one run (earned) on two hits, while striking out two.
- Thomas More is scheduled for return to action tomorrow at 4 p.m. when it hosts Hanover College at Thomas More Field in Crestview Hills, Kentucky.