Posted: Mar 13, 2019
(HANOVER, Ind.) – The Thomas More University baseball team defeated traditional-rival Hanover College, 4-3, today (Wednesday, March 13, 2019) at K.T. Young Ballpark in Hanover, Indiana. The Saints improve to 3-6 and the Panthers fall to 5-3.
- Thomas More took a 1-0 lead in the top of the first when senior right fielder Joshua Boeckmann (Cincinnati, Ohio/Elder) had a run batted-in single scoring first-year second baseman Brett Benzinger (Taylor Mill, Ky./New Richmond).
- The Saints extended the lead to 2-0 in the second inning when first-year third baseman Bailey Martin (Independence, Ky./Simon Kenton) scored on a RBI single by sophomore left fielder Brady Reynolds (White Oak, Ohio/LaSalle).
- In the top of the fifth, Thomas More extended the lead to 4-0 when senior shortstop Sean Lawrence, Ky./Simon Kenton) scored on a sacrifice bunt by senior catcher Sam Hauer (Cincinnati, Ohio/Elder) and Benzinger scored on a Boeckmann fielder choice.
- Hanover scored one run in the third, fifth and seventh, but it wasn't enough and Thomas More posted the 4-3 win.
- Benzinger was two-for-four with a two runs scored.
- Boeckmann was two-for-five with two RBI.
- Thomas More used nine pitchers in the game.
- Senior pitcher Jonathan Breeden (Erlanger, Ky./Dixie Heights) earned the win as he pitched a scoreless first inning.
- Thomas More turns to action on Saturday (March 16) when it plays a doubleheader against in-state rival Spalding University.
- First pitch is scheduled for 1 p.m. in Louisville, Kentucky.