(HOOVER, Ala.) – The Thomas More University baseball team opened the 2019 season today (Friday, February 22, 2019) with a 5-3 win over DePauw University at the Birmingham Southern College Tournament at the Hoover Met Complex in Hoover, Alabama. Thomas More is 1-0, while the Tigers fall to 0-1.
- Thomas More scored one in the third, one in the fourth, two in the sixth and one in the seventh, while holding DePauw to one in the sixth and two in the ninth.
- Sophomore pitcher Jordan Houze (Lawrenceburg, Ind./Lawrenceburg) earned the win as he pitched seven innings and gave up one run on five hits, while striking out five.
- Sophomore pitcher Andrew Schramm (Cincinnati, Ohio/Elder) pitched the eighth and didn't allow a score or hit.
- Junior pitcher Justin Ward (Cincinnati, Ohio/Elder) earned the saved as he pitched two-thirds of an inning and gave up a hit..
- First-year third baseman Bailey Martin (Independence, Ky./Simon Kenton) was two-for-five at the plate with a triple, a run batted-in and a run scored.
- Senior catcher Sam Hauer (Cincinnati, Ohio/Elder) was two-for-five with a double and a RBI.
- Senior left fielder Joshua Boeckmann (Cincinnati, Ohio/Elder) was one-for-five with a RBI.
- Thomas More will play two games tomorrow at the Hoover Met Complex.
- The Saints will play North Park University at 12 p.m. Eastern/11 a.m. Central and DePauw at 3 p.m. Eastern/2 p.m. Central.