(CRESTVIEW HILLS, Ky.) - The 2019 Thomas More Baseball team opens its season this weekend in the Birmingham Southern Tournament in Birmingham, Ala. The Saints will take on DePauw twice, North Park, and Birmingham Southern. The Saints take on DePauw on Feb. 22 at 2 p.m., North Park and DePauw on Feb. 23 at 12 p.m. and 3:15 p.m., and finish the weekend with Birmingham Southern at 12:30 p.m. on Feb. 24.
- Head Coach Jeff Hetzer returns at the helm of the Saints again this season, alongside Jeremy Martin and Ben Laumann.
- Hetzer is in his 19th season with Thomas More, never having a losing season, making seven NCAA appearances, and winning five conference championships.
- The Saints return 15 upperclassmen from last season, and brought in 16 newcomers to the squad.
- Of those 15 upperclassmen, eight of them are seniors.
- Sean Lawrence, an Independence, Ky. native who attended Simon Kenton, returns this season. He played in 44 games last season, recording 173 at bats, 69 hits for 16 doubles, four triples, and eight home runs. He finished the season batting .399 with 44 RBI's. He also pitched 32.0 innings, allowing 16 runs and finished with a .309 ERA.
- Jared Drewes, a native from Cincinnati, Ohio and Oak Hills High School, returns to the active list this season after suffering an injury last season.
- Sam Hauer, from Cincinnati, Ohio and Elder High School, returns behind the plate again this season. Last year, Hauer played in 43 games last season for the Saints. He recorded 171 at-bats, scoring 31 times, with 65 hits for 14 doubles and six home runs. Hauer caught 13 players stealing and recorded zero errors.
- Noah Galvin, a native from Ft. Mitchell, Ky. and Covington Catholic High School, returns to the active list this season after suffering an injury last season.
- Joshua Boeckmann, from Cincinnati, Ohio and Elder High School, returns to the outfield again this season. Boeckmann played in 44 games last season, recording 163 at bats, 50 hits for 11 doubles, two triples, one home run, and 32 RBI's, finishing with a .307 batting average. He recorded 84 put outs and only four errors, ending with a .957 fielding percentage.
- Blaise Ostertag, from Burlington, Ky. and Conner High School, returns to the outfield again this season. Last year, he played in 43 games last season for the Saints, recording 144 at bats for 45 hits for five doubles, four triples, and five home runs. Ostertag Recorded 29 RBI's and ended the season hitting .313.
- Nick Jenkins, from Hiliard, Ohio and Hilliard Bradley High School, returns to the lineup this season after playing in 18 games this season for the Saints. He had 28 at bats, recording three hits for one double and one RBI. Jenkins finished the season with a .107 batting average.
- Jonathan Breeden, from Erlanger, Ky. adn Dixie Heights High School, returns to the mound again this season. He played in 17 games last season for the Saints, pitched 38.1 innings, allowing 22 runs and recording 38 strike outs, finishing with an 8.92 ERA.
- This weekend marks the opening weekend for the Tigers.
- Last season, ended 11-26 overall, losing to Thomas More in the final two games of the season, 4-5 and 0-11.
- The Tigers welcomed 19 newcomers this season.
- North Park comes into this weekend 0-3 so far this season, falling to Wis.-Whitewater, Huntingdon, and Spalding.
- The Vikings have recorded 17 hits over the first three games of the season.
- Ryan Denz leads the team with a .500 batting average.
- Ranko Stevanovic leads the team with four hits already this season.
- The Panthers come into this weekend 2-4 on the season so far, defeating LaGrange and Trinity.
- BSU has recorded 49 hits this season.
- Tyler Wise leads the team with nine hits, with Cole Steadman a close second with eight.
- John Michael Shirley leads the team with nine strikeouts on the mound.
- Follow all of Thomas More's teams on twitter and instagram (@tmusaints) and facebook (Thomas More Saints).
- The Saints host their home opener on Mar. 2 against Ohio Wesleyan for a double-header starting at 12 p.m. followed by a 5 p.m. pitch.