(CRESTVIEW HILLS, Ky.) – The 12th-ranked Thomas More University softball team fell in both games today (Sunday, May 12, 2019) against SUNY Geneseo in the championship round of the Crestview Hills, Kentucky Regional of the 2019 NCAA Division III Softball Championship at Thomas More Ford. Geneseo won the first game, 3-0, and the second game, 5-4. Thomas More ends the season at 34-11 and Geneseo improves to 36-11.
- The Knights scored one run in the first, one in the fifth and one in the seventh to post the 3-0 win.
- Senior left fielder Morgan Wells (Cincinnati, Ohio/McAuley) was one-for-two with a double.
- Junior first baseman Andrea Gahan (Cincinnati, Ohio/Oak Hills) was one-for-three.
- First-year designated player Elana Harrison (Mason, Ohio/Mason) was one-for-three.
- Senior pitcher Alix DeDreu (Rising Sun, Ind./Rising Sun) suffered the loss as she pitched seven innings giving up three runs (two earned) on six hits, while striking out nine.
- Thomas More took a 1-0 lead in the top of the first inning when Harrison had a RBI single scoring senior third baseman Whitney Quillen (Dayton, Ky./Highlands).
- Geneseo scored three in the bottom of the first and two in the third to build a 5-1 lead.
- The Saints cut the lead to 5-3 in the fifth inning when Gahan hit a two-run home run, scoring Quillen.
- Wells hit a home run in the sixth inning to make the score 5-4, but the Saints weren't able to plate a tying run in the game.
- Gahan was one-for-three with a home run, two RBI and a run scored.
- Wells was one-for-two with a home run, a RBI and a run scored.
- Harrison was one-for-four with a RBI.
- Quillen was one-for-two with two runs scored.
- DeDreu was one-for-four.
- DeDreu had the loss in the circle as she pitched three innings giving up three runs (two earned) on one hit and striking out one.
- Junior pitcher Kianah Towe (West Chester, Ohio/Lakota East) pitched three innings giving up two runs (both unearned) on four hits and striking out one.
- At the conclusion of the regional, Gahan, Quillen and DeDreu were named to the All-Tournament team.
- Thomas More ends the season at 34-11, regional finalists and American Collegiate Athletic Association (ACAA) Champions.
- The Saints will transition to NAIA and the Mid-South Conference next season.